Inter-American Institute for Research on Global Change (IAI)
The Memorandum of Understanding, dated on April 24, 2020, and an extendable extension of five years, has the central objective of promoting collaboration in activities and initiatives to strengthen capacities in science, technology and innovation within the Latin American region.
Through this agreement - signed by the executive directors of IAI and RedCLARA, Dr. Marcos Regis da Silva and Luis Eliécer Cadenas, respectively - both institutions commit to join efforts to improve the exchange of information and collaboration. To do this, they have defined their action in the following points:
- Strengthen collaboration mechanisms and the exchange of information among scientists in their communities, through their national networks, to facilitate the accomplishment of both institutions’ missions.
- Work together to promote:
- The creation of regional services for the management of scientific data and open publications at the Latin American level, both in “AAS As a Service” and on-site modalities.
- The technological infrastructure so that the projects and initiatives of the IAI, RedCLARA and its national member networks can contribute to strengthen scientific and technological capacities in the region.
- The promotion and support of IAI scientific projects among the national networks of RedCLARA members.
- The infrastructure of RedCLARA and its national networks for the development of education and training programs in the IAI scope of action.
The Inter-American Institute for Research on Global Change (IAI - http://www.iai.int/es) is a regional intergovernmental institution, made up of 19 countries, that promotes scientific research and the development of capacities to provide information about climate change to decision-makers from the continent and the entire world. Its mission is "to pursue the principles of scientific excellence and integrity, international cooperation, science outreach and capacity building, and the full and open exchange of scientific information relevant to global change to reach the vision of a sustainable Americas." It is currently an intergovernmental observer organization (IGO) of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
RedCLARA and IAI agree with the principle of cooperation for the promotion, dissemination and development of scientific, technological and innovative capacities in the region. They agree to promote the integration of academic and research organizations, and serve as a link for cooperation, exchange of experiences and information among them, by establishing alliances with intergovernmental organizations, non-governmental organizations, research institutions, associations and civil society, as well as multilateral forums in support of the achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the area of climate change. Additionally, both organizations promote the development of Open Data policies and protocols, which can be considered a potential thematic area for the design of cooperation actions.