NEG is the group in charge of the design, planning and implementation of RedCLARA (network engineering plan). Its tasks include developing RedCLARA, expanding its services, improving its technical and operational features, and supervising its operation (role played by the NOC) and services.
In terms of service development and RedCLARA’s expansion, the NEC is engaged in:
- Consolidating the traffic exchange agreements with Academic Networks in Asia-Pacific and Eastern Europe.
- Analysing RedCLARA’s security.
- Designing the set of basic quality indicators for RedCLARA.
- Conducting traffic analysis.
- Developing and implementing quality of service in RedCLARA (QoS).
- Planning and installing new national networks connected to RedCLARA.
- Establishing the operation mechanisms of a videoconference server (VC).
- Establishing the MCU operation mechanisms for VC.
As regards the engineering plan, the NEG performs the following tasks:
- Defining the 2008-2012 Service Plan.
- Determining bandwidth needs.
- Establishing the transport resources available.
- Developing the Technical Plan.
- Discussing the Technical Strategy with National Networks.
- Discussing the Technical Strategy with member institutions.
- Developing the RedCLARA2 Project for the ALICE2 proposal, in agreement with the Engineering Plan thus constructed.
- Implementing the first stages of RedCLARA’s optical fibre.